The Value of Connections

In my graphic design class, we were told to make a list of 10 things that we value the most out of life and make a poster displaying those things we have a connection with. The assignment was inspired by Interview Magazine's Consumption, so I was actually really excited to start working. The essential question of how what you value reveals your story is a valid question that I think everyone should ask themselves.

Sometimes we become lost for a phase or two and what we end up consuming doesn't reflect who we really are at heart. But if we always come back to the core things that we will always find joy in, we will always find ourselves again.

My 10 Values probably differ from the average teenage girl, but who wants to be average? I thrive on things that go deeper than the surface in the very 2-D world that we live in. Every single thing on my list of 10 values is very near and dear to my heart but there are two specific ones that I have a special connection with.

Tragedy often shows the truth, and losing one of my very close friends to suicide this past summer has definitely revealed things that wouldn't have otherwise. Jaylen was one of the most brilliant, creative, and passionate people i've ever known. He aspired to be like his idols with his own twist on things and was more his own person than anyone else. One of his biggest idols was Kanye West who I also have an admiration for. Kanye and Jaylen are similar in the way that passion is the source of their drive and motivation. My love for Mr. West has been heightened since Jaylen's death, and one of the reasons for is that I think the way that Jay can live on through me, is if I let my passion for things drive me to make me more of myself. Being a one of a kind individual was one of Jay's strong points and I think everyone should strive to be the most of themselves.

One of my many passions is writing, whether it's a short story, an essay for school, or a blog post like this one, it's how I express myself to the fullest. I have loved to write since I was much younger, and even won local recognition back in my elementary school writing days with one of my notorious stories. I have a hard time translating my thoughts directly from my mind to my mouth, especially in the heat of the moment so writing gives me the opportunity to organize and produce my best thoughts. Even though poetry can be seen as depressing, or too emotional I find that it connects more people than novels. No matter how hard you think you are, spilling your heart on a piece of paper I see dire to staying sane. Ways that I can express myself that can possibly have an effect on people are things that I want to continue to do until the day I die.

So what puzzle pieces of you fit together to show who you have become? If you aren't careful a piece could trick you into thinking it fits.


Check out my full poster below.




3 comments:

  1. I love how long you made of instead of being basic and making it short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you were interested in this assignment. Values are the driving force behind our behaviors so if you are going to influence behavior find the core value. Branding is one way to help people discover who they are or what their product can do for the world. Nice job Dannah and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dannah, I love how your layout is so different than anyone else's. I also like how it reflects you and your personality. You go girl.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.